Monday 19 April 2010

The need for Tweed



Many have often argued that the modern man these days is not only far too casual but also incredibly un refined in their choice of dress. As a fan of contemporary casual items such as the humble t-shirt and being an earnest promoter on the elegant practicality of denim. I do, rather strangely at times, wish for a past when men would cut a sharp, clean tailored figure on any landscape that they so desired to be involved in. Although I wouldn’t want to spend all of my days wearing a suit and hard shoe, quite frankly any unnecessary heavy clothed attire in the middle of summer worn on the tube is a good reason in itself not to endorse suits. However despite this, I do find myself longing for the occasional vintage accessories that gentlemen of old would carry, such as a Hip Flask, pocket square (to brighten up ones blazer) or even a fine patterned handkerchief; an article which could save many a tree if brought back into fashion.

The Tweed Run is the perfect example of such an occasion when all modern dandy’s, urban squires and anarchic gentleman can come together, polish of their steel frame (mine is an early 80’s Viscount) and travel through London at a leisurely pace in their finest tweed. Many cut a dash in their high argyle socks, plus four trousers, tweed Jackets and brylcreemed hair. The contents of many hip flasks were shared and conversation was held at a jaunty canter over cucumber sandwiches and a cup of tea.

First produced during the 1800’s in Scotland. Tweed cloth was produced initially for gamekeepers but lately has slowly crept into contemporary fashions. I can’t quite explain how good wearing tweed made me feel, I felt noble, honourable and jolly spiffing, so spiffing that I’ve decided to save my hard worked pennies and invest in some tailored tweed in the not too distant future...

Here are some more pictures from the Tweed Run revolution.






/>

No comments:

Post a Comment